What Are You Prepared to do?
Dear Desperate Citizen,
As a patriot of Antigua and Barbuda, I feel compelled to respond to your open letter “The United Progressive Party Sucks” published on October 3, 2021. Here’s my thoughtful response to your observations.
- Based on your letter, it appears that both you and your son are not convinced that ABLP should be leading Antigua and Barbuda. But it sounds like you want the UPP to approach politics like the ABLP. If that is the case, unfortunately you DO NOT want to see real change in Antigua and Barbuda. You just want an EXCHANGE and that’s not the UPP.
- You seem to have some knowledge of Harold Lovell as a man who has been in the struggle for over 40 years. He started out in the ACLM, was a part of the Teacher’s struggle and served this country as Minister of Finance during one of the toughest financial crises known to man. He may not be perfect, but he’s prepared to stand up. He has been arrested several times, in pursuit of justice, but has soldiered on because he believes that Antigua and Barbuda is still worth saving. So, my question to you is: What are YOU prepared to do?
- Based on your epistle, it appears that like many others, you don’t necessarily demand results, but just want to be entertained. Your popcorn is ready and you are waiting for a dog fight – who can throw the most mud and ‘wud’! You seem to clamor for lawlessness and more thuggery to be put on display. But does a dog fight and entertainment signal to you that you are worthy? Is that your criteria for the type of leadership that our nation needs today with all the challenges before us?
- You wrongfully accused the UPP of being “afraid to go out there and engage with people.” I am not sure what constituency you are living in and what “engage with people” looks like to you. Perhaps you are one of those just waiting for the highest bidder! But let me set the record straight. In the midst of the deadly COVID pandemic, the UPP candidates have been active on the ground in their constituencies, 3-5 days weekly meeting with the people. So, stop spreading lies and misinformation!
- You also accuse the leader of going on programs that do not allow idle people like yourself to call in and question him. What happened, you never heard of Captains Corner on Progressive Radio on Thursdays at 8pm? You don’t listen to the Snake Pit on those Saturdays when he takes questions from the public?
- Finally, you seem not to be troubled enough by the many issues plaguing Antigua and Barbuda. If so, why aren’t you focusing your energy on demanding better roads, reliable water, internet, policing and other basic necessities? Let me tell you more…. after collecting the most revenues of any government, this administration has no reserves and no real plan to address this pandemic. Despite all of the early forecasts about how bad things could get in this pandemic, this administration showed us that they are only concerned about the dollar and we were the first Caribbean country to open our borders. With that distinction under our belt, refrigerated trucks now serve as temporary morgues. Our children can’t use e-books to study because our pockets were picked, and no one is being held responsible. We’re losing everything – our lands, our rights, our lives. But look at where YOUR focus is? We have a degenerate minister who publicly suggested 14 year old girls can consent to sex. Our elders can’t get their pensions until 2 months past the due date. People are hungry and desperate! What exactly are YOU focused on? Facebook posts of a political leader attacking citizens and divulging their medical or financial history don’t offend you to do something other than complain about what the UPP isn’t doing?
Buju Banton said it best … “Soldier mi love and mi nuh respect cowards.” Harold has been consistent. He could have left like many of his former UPP colleagues and made his contribution anywhere in the world. But he decided to stay and continue to fight. When (or if) you decide to stop being a coward, tell us what are YOU prepared to do? That is aside from refilling your popcorn bag and waiting for the next ‘CLOWN BROWNE’ Show!
Support Antigua Newsroom from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you.