The Guyana Teachers
GTU president, Mark Lyte in a memo to teachers said that the strike action would continue “until further notice”.
Schools are due to re-open for the new academic term on September 3.
Last week, Lyte said the long-running pay dispute with government might be headed for arbitration, and denied reports that the GTU had agreed that the should hire a specialist to calculate how much each category of teachers should be paid from an available GUY$700 million (One Guyana dollar=US$0.004 cents) for 2018.
Lyte said the GTU is insisting on a multi-year agreement from 2016 to 2019 and the union has asked principals to return the school keys to the respective Education Departments on Friday.
The union is also asking teachers not to report for work from the commencement of Pre-Term Activities until further notice.
“Teachers throughout the length and breadth of Guyana are asked to support this justified action taken by your Union to ensure that an agreement is reached between MOE and GTU”, Lyte said in the memo.
He said the decision to call the strike was taken by the GTU on the insistence of its members to embark upon industrial action due to failed talks between the MOE and the union.
The union has described the counterproposal by the MOE as an insult to the integrity of all teachers in Guyana.
“We believe that enough patience was exhibited by the Union to allow MOE to arrive at a satisfactory proposal. Strike will officially commence on 27th August 2018 and will continue until further notice”.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Antigua and abroad!
Contact us at [email protected]