In an effort to minimize the risks of becoming a victim of crime, the police have issued a number of Crime Prevention and Safety Tips for this Christmas season for all to take on board.
- First off, police are appealing to members of the public to be mindful of their surroundings and pay closer attention to their personal safety. Always be on your alert and aware of what is happening around you.
- Be aware of “Pickpockets” or “Bag-snatchers” during this Christmas Season. Have your valuable items and monies properly secured on your person.
- Avoid walking alone in remote and poorly lit areas at nights. This can lead to you being assaulted or robbed.
- It is NOT advisable for anyone to carry around large amounts of cash on their person. Equally, do not expose large sums of money in the public.
- Be extremely cautious when utilizing Automated Teller Machines (ATM’s); especially during the night. Likewise, do not be too quick to accept help from a stranger, if or when you have difficulty using these ATM’s; this person may be trying to deprive you of your money.
- If you are using an ATM and you encounter difficulties inserting your card, STOP. Immediately remove the card from the machine and walk away. Find another ATM if it is absolutely necessary. It is likely that that machine was tampered with, in order to capture vital information from your card.
- If, for some reason you are attacked or robbed; as much as possible, remain calm and stay focus. By doing so, you will not only save your life; but would be in a position to provide the police with pertinent information that can assist them with their investigations.
- Be on the alert for counterfeit currencies. This is a period where persons will try to pass off counterfeit currencies, in exchange for legal currencies or goods and services.
- Home owners should always ensure that their homes are properly locked and secured; especially before leaving home. Ensure that you use quality locks to secure your property.
- No one should be leaving keys in secret hiding places for other members of the household. This can provide thieves with access into your homes.
- It is advisable that proper security alarm systems be installed in homes and business, where possible. (A Security Alarm System that is not properly utilized is useless).
- Store owners should always be on the alert for “Shoplifters,” and pay close attention to everyone entering or exiting their stores.
- Vehicle owners are advised to properly lock and secure their vehicles at all times.
- Do not leave keys hanging in vehicle doors and ignition.
- Do not leave valuable items inside your vehicles in plain view. This will attract thieves to break into your vehicles.
- It is also advisable for vehicle owners to park their vehicles in areas that are properly lit.
Remember, if you see anything suspicious, call the police immediately, or call 911.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Antigua and abroad!
Contact us at [email protected]