SVG: Residents told to remain ready for explosion despite reduced activity at La Soufriere

0

Director of the National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO), Michelle Forbes, is again urging Vincentians to prepare for the possibility of an explosive eruption of La Soufriere.

The volcano has been erupting effusively since December and returned to its “normal” dome-building activity last Friday, after three days of elevated seismic activity.

 

Forbes said on VC3’s Round Table Talk on Wednesday that the cessation of the elevated seismic activity is no reason to become complacent.

 

“….We cannot sit and think it is all over because we know we are in it for the long haul,” she said.

 

“As I keep saying, I believe we are on borrowed time. The volcano has given us enough time to get things in order and we continue to basically prepare, think about the worst-case scenarios, think about the different scenarios, whether it can happen in the night, during the day, and the different types of resources we will need for each event.”

 

The NEMO director said that her agency continues with preparation activities, including a pre-planned tabletop simulation exercise during the heightened activity last week.

 

“This is not the time for us to become complacent because we hear that things have quieted down last week, because we can expect to have similar events,” she said.

Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Antigua and abroad!
Contact us at [email protected]