The government announced today “only-half” of the $27 million pledged to the Barbuda Relief and Recovery Fund has been collected.
Friendly governments, organisations, businesses, and individuals agreed to contribute to the fund after Hurricane Irma devastated Barbuda on September 6, 2017.
“The largest single source has been from the CCRIF (Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility),” said Chief of Staff Lionel ‘Max’ Hurst.
He said from the amount collected so far, the Cabinet voted for “EC$1.5 million dollars for the Barbuda Council to meet its outstanding payments to its workers, and to ensure that there will be sufficient to meet current obligations.”
A month after Irma, life in Barbuda is slowly getting back to normal. There is still no power, no phones and just one store is open. The country’s military and police are present, helping to remove debris from main roads. Recently, the government, which had issued a mandatory evacuation order in the storm’s wake, has allowed people to return to clean up their homes.