The installation of the new Plant Protection Board (PPB) took place last Wednesday at the Governor General’s Office.
Eleven of the fourteen board members were present and before receiving their instruments they were advised and encouraged by Sir Dr. Rodney Williams to serve on the Board without fear or favor but with integrity and by professional standards
The Plant Protection Board was established under Section 9 of the Plant Protection Act 18/2012.
According to Dr. Janil Gore-Francis, one of the board’s primary functions is to advise the minister on the need for plant protection regulations and to make recommendations whenever a phytosanitary emergency has occurred.
“The board acts in an advisory capacity to the minister in regard to the need for regulations for plant protection to be developed or be in place to deal with particular issues and to manage phytosanitary emergencies. Therefore, when there is a pest outbreak which is deemed to be an emergency, there is a process where the Board would make a recommendation to the minister that an emergency be declared and once that happens it puts in motion a number of things such as funding in order to respond and address the emergency”, explained Gore-Francis.
Based on the Cabinet decision, the Period of Appointment will be for a duration of three years (1st January 2022 to 31st December 2024). Listed below are the board members and the designations.
- Dr. Janil Gore-Francis: Head of the National Plant Protection Organization
- Mr. Gregory Bailey: Director of Agriculture
- Mr. Jahmel Ralph: Ministry of Agriculture representative
- Dr. Helena Jeffery-Brown: Ministry responsible for the environment
- Mrs. Sylvia Samuel: Ministry responsible for Trade
- Mrs. Joy Dublin: Ministry of Legal Affairs
- Mr. David Martin: The Customs Department
- Lt. Cmd. Elroy Skerritt: The Antigua & Barbuda Defense Force Coastguard
- Mr. Devon Warner: Barbuda Council
- Mrs. Soria Dupie-Winston: Ministry responsible for health
- Mr. Devon Graham: Royal Police Force of Antigua and Barbuda
- Mr. Darell George: Importer and exporter
- Mr. Alvin Christian: Grower and nursery owner
- Mr. Jonah Ormond: Secretary to the Board
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]