Hotel room tax to increase

5

Tourism Minister Charles Max Fernandez says come January 1, 2019, the tax that guests pay on their hotel rooms will increase by 0.5 percent.

Fernandez told parliament that the tax was approved by the government two years ago “but its now coming into effect: the half a percentage point room tax to our visitors.”

In addition to the 10.5 per cent Antigua Barbuda Sales Tax, since 2012, the government has been collecting an additional 2 per cent which goes towards a marketing fund.

The total figure has been 12.5 per cent, however with the 0.5 per cent, the total jumps to 13 per cent.

The minister told the Lower House that the increase will result in another US$ 4 million being collected not only for marketing and promotion but to develop the tourism product.

He said in addition to the 0.5 increase the government has also pledged to contribute another 0.5 per cent to the fund.

“And the government had agreed to give up half a per cent of what they collect, that additional per cent Mr. Speak will result in an additional four million USD which will allow us to spend more in terms of marketing, promoting and doing some development of our own local product.”

Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Antigua and abroad!
Contact us at [email protected]

5 COMMENTS

  1. So seaweed is strangling your beeches and threatening your tourist industry but now evidently is a good time to tax me extra for my hotel room. How does that work. Its just like living in England but warmer.

  2. It mean that those upper level management in ministry of tourism salary will now increase to a fatter paycheck.

  3. Hope the hotel employees pay will increase too.
    The workers union will be more competent with representing employees for all the victimization and unfair treatment by HR departments and managers.
    There’s is also alot of discrimination happening at hotels. I could not get a job despite my qualifications in customer service at a hotel on the south side of the island because I have dread locks (neat well groomed ones too) but the head of department has locks and their are aslo food handlers with locks down to their backs and guys with braided hair. Is there a law against this type of discrimination or should is say confusion?
    I know this does not relate to the topic but I just wanted it known.

    Antigua news room check it out

Comments are closed.