NEWS ROOM: A Princeville, Mahdia, Region Eight, family on August 13 consumed a traditional indigenous concoction used to catch fish, after they thought their relative, identified only as ‘Orindo’, reportedly died from COVID-19.
According to reports, the family was of the belief the poisonous substance would serve as a cure for COVID-19.
Orindo’s eldest daughter Meryl succumbed after drinking the poisonous substance.
Meryl’s young daughter, her brother and her mother, who also consumed the concoction, are out of danger and recovering at the Mahdia Hospital.
Regional Executive Officer (REO) Peter Ramotar confirmed to the News Room that Orindo did not die as a result of COVID-19. A post-mortem revealed that the man died as a result of tuberculosis complications.
The News Room understands that he died on August 10. After his death, rumors began circulating that he died as a result of the dreaded COVID-19 virus.
The family was then told that if they consumed the concoction, they will be cured from the virus.
“It was not related to COVID; there were other complications. After he died, his eldest daughter and her mom and some other persons, they drank something that is normally used to poison fish and they overdose on it. I don’t know if the family felt that it might have been COVID,” Ramotar explained.
The REO further explained that the region is always willing to support persons in these situations and will do all they can to help the family.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages. Your content is delivered instantly to thousands of users in Antigua and abroad!
Contact us at [email protected]
Natural selection at its finest.
Comments are closed.