Cabinet Notes: This approach to renewal and retrofitting of neglected Government-owned properties has been the hallmark of the administration, since 2014.
The old Holberton Hospital has had two buildings–the Margetson Ward and the Blackburne Ward–transformed; Edward Ward is next.
The Nurses Hostel on Queen Elizabeth Highway has been turned into a very useful building which housed evacuees from Barbuda and is now housing residents of the Fiennes Institute, while the old Fiennes Institute is being reconstructed.
The Old Ministry of Education Building on Upper Church Street has been retrofitted and transformed and is now the home of the CBH.
The historic fence and buildings at Government House have been returned to stately status, befitting the Head of State.
The abandoned Old Administration Building on High and Long Streets, which the previous administration planned to destroy for parking cars, has been restored and now houses the Ministry of Health; it was built in 1958 on piles and is structurally sound.
The new Public Library Building on Hailes Promenade which remained incomplete, was repaired and outfitted for use.
The unused car park building was purchased from the bankrupt CLICO Group, and work has begun to transform it and ready it for occupancy by several government agencies that now pay rent.
At the old US Naval Base, the rooms which once housed soldiers are being renovated and serve as a temporary prison and an isolation/quarantine center.
More government-owned buildings have been targeted for renewal, slowed only be the devastation wrought by Covid-19 and its impact on revenues and the economy. New housing and even new temporary housing are under construction on Bay Street, Villa.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]