Fraud case against nurse could be dropped if prosecution is not ready

3
Alleged fraudster Jahmesha Millwood

The prosecution has about two months to complete its file against a nurse who allegedly used another woman’s bank card to purchase over $20,000 worth of items online, without her permission.

In June, Jamesha Millwood who was suspended last year due to other alleged crimes, was slapped with 17 counts of fraud

The 29-year-old Bolans woman and the complainant were said to have travelled to Jamaica in late February 2020 to pursue a seven-month training course in emergency nursing at the University Hospital of the West Indies.

However, after about two weeks, the course was suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but they had to remain in Jamaica due to the closure of the airports in both Antigua and Jamaica, and were only able to return home in April that year.

Both women returned to Jamaica in January 2021 to continue the course and were reportedly quarantined in the same room for about two weeks before the programme started.

While rooming together, it is said that the complainant told the accused about a business which she was planning to start.

In March 2021, the complainant reportedly went to a bank in Jamaica to make a withdrawal and noticed that her balance was far less than expected, so she contacted the bank in Antigua and requested a summary of her debit card transactions.

She reportedly noticed that a number of online purchases totalling $20,764.17 had been made over a period of time without her knowledge or consent.

The complainant subsequently reported the matter to the police who executed a search warrant on the premises of the defendant and allegedly found items which they believed had been purchased using the complainant’s card.

Millwood appeared in the St John’s Magistrate’s Court yesterday for the second time and was told that the prosecution was not ready to start the committal proceeding.

Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh therefore gave the police one final opportunity to have the file ready.

Should the file be complete on October 13, the Magistrate will indicate whether or not the case will proceed to the High Court. However, if the file is not complete, Walsh will dismiss the case for want of prosecution. (OBSERVER NEWSCO)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP

3 COMMENTS

  1. This is typical behavior of the police when they do not want to really charge someone. They drag their feet as long as possible, and no one can hold them accountable for not doing their job to the best of their ability. Disgusting if you ask me. Some things will have to change in this country. Perhaps we need to bring back the Canadian Mounties. Remember how they dragged their feet when bringing charges against the driver that killed Adrea Hughes.
    “A High Court order of a stay remains in place on the police bringing any criminal proceedings against Mark Ryan, the driver being investigated in the fatality case of Andrea Hughes.
    Road fatality case still on hold
    23 August 2017
    The order was granted a year ago after the police published the findings of a coroner’s inquest, indicating who was culpable.
    The lawyer representing Ryan, Hugh Marshall Jr, had challenged the findings and publication of the inquest report in August last year, preventing the police from moving forward in any way.
    Marshall did not state what’s next for the case, just to confirm the court order still has effect.
    It is now three and half years after Hughes was allegedly struck down on Weatherill’s main road.
    She died leaving nine children.”

Comments are closed.