Dredge Bay home owners to begin moving in this weekend

0
Aerial view of Dredge Bay housing project back in 2017

People who purchased homes at Dredge Bay are expected to begin moving into the housing development this weekend.

 

Government’s Chief of Staff Lionel “Max” Hurst said the Cabinet was informed of this during its sitting on Wednesday.

 

Some home owners received keys to their property during a ceremony attended by a number of government officials almost two months ago, but at that time the homes were not fully ready for occupancy.

 

Since then the sewerage system at Dredge Bay, where 48 homes have been completed, is now working perfectly due to efforts by the Antigua Public Utilities Authority (APUA), Hurst revealed. 

 

He said electrical meters and other electrical connections required for the proper functioning of the sewerage plant were completed this week.

 

He added that APUA will conclude its installation of electrical meters in a few of the homes.

 

Meanwhile, the chief of staff said head of the National Housing and Urban Development Corporation Bernard Gardner has updated Cabinet on the other housing development sites where work is presently ongoing.

 

Hurst said Gardner reported that the homes at Paynter’s are at a more advanced stage than those at Denfields.

 

The Cabinet was told, however, that 250 homes should be ready for occupancy by the end of this year.

 

“The Housing Development Company has more than $150 million dollars of housing stock in its inventory; the Cabinet encouraged the executive director to assign the homes as quickly as possible, arrange the mortgages with the four banks that are participating in the financing, and to move to collect the resources so that it may move to building more homes,” Hurst added.

 

The construction of homes in several locations across the island was part of the Antigua Barbuda Labour Party’s (ABLP) flagship programme of 500 homes in 500 days.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP