The government of Antigua and Barbuda has declared a State of Emergency in an effort to curb the spread of the Coronavirus – COVID 19
A curfew has been enacted from Thursday 23rd April – 12:01 a.m. to Thursday May 14, 2020 – 12 Midnight.
There will be no movement during the day by non-essential workers except for food and emergency supplies. Private vehicles are limited to two occupants
Essential workers and others should continue to practice social distancing of six feet between persons
Persons are confined to their places of residence during the 24-Hour curfew
Essential Services permitted to operate during State of Emergency
- Royal Police Force of Antigua and Barbuda including the fire Brigade
- Antigua and Barbuda Defence Force
- Office of National Drug and Money Laundering Control Policy (ONDCP)
- Customs Department and Excise Division
- Immigration Department
- Mount Saint John Medical Centre
- Emergency Medical Services and E-911 Services
- Media workers and other employees of a broadcasting service to the extent that they are traveling for work;
- Her Majesty’s Prison
- Air Traffic Control Service
- Metrological Services
- Provision of healthcare services and residential care services
- Residential or elderly care facilities and establishments
- Antigua Public Utilities Authority (Electricity and Water and Telecommunications); other Water Service and Telecommunication Service Providers
- Assigned Volunteers
- Antigua and Barbuda Port Authority
- Brokers and Shipping agents
- Antigua and Barbuda Airport Authority
- Businesses licensed to provide private security services
- National Office of Disaster Services
- Commercial Banks and Credit Unions to the extent required to facilitate ongoing automatic banking services
- All Members of Parliament
- The Treasury Department, as determined by the Accountant General
- The Inland Revenue Department, as determined by the Commissioner of Inland Revenue
- National Solid Waste Management Authority
- Healthcare workers and employees of allied health care services
- LIAT 1974 Ltd.
- Fuel Manufactures/Distributors (WIOC, RUBIS)
- Private Doctors/Veterinarians
- Lawyers providing legal services to clients at police station and at the Magistrates’ Court
- Critical Construction workers approved by the Cabinet to include BHM, Meridian Construction Company, CCECC and WIOC
- Religious rites performed by church leaders and Chaplains of Faith-Based Organisations on the recommendation of the Ecclesiastical Commission.
- Businesses involved in logistics
- Hotels/Villas & Ancillary Staff operating on a limited scale (no gaming rooms, spas, gyms, tennis courts and other recreational services are allowed; in room dining only)
Select businesses will be allowed to operate between the recommended hours with strict adherence to the established social distancing regime. These businesses shall operate between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Fish and Meat Markets, Abattoirs
Vending of agricultural produce
Registered livestock and vegetable farmers are permitted to be at their farms between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Licensed fishermen are permitted to operate during the curfew period between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Restaurants for drive-thru and curbside deliveries only – no dine-in services
Critical Cleaning Services, Sanitation workers
Wholesale or retail grocery stores, bakeries, supermarkets and community shops
Authorized Delivery Services of necessities (food, groceries, medicine, water, fuel)
Banking Institutions licensed under the Banking Act 2015
All Money Services Businesses conducting money transfers pursuant to a Class A licence issued by the Financial Services Regulatory Commission (for the purpose of receiving moneys only)
Licensed Insurance businesses and Insurance Agents
Hardware Stores, Contractors and Construction businesses and their workmen
Landscape businesses and businesses engaged in maintenance of the physical environment
Auto Parts sales (on delivery basis only)
Churches and Faith-Based Organisations may conduct community outreach programmes, such as, soup kitchens and the distribution of food and care packages to members of the community between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Public transportation services are permitted to operate during the curfew period from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. provided the operator of the public transport and the passengers wear a face mask/covering and the passengers are seated in a staggering formation with one person in every row that would normally accommodate 2 persons and no more than 2 persons in the back seat.
Employees of the public service who are not employed in the provision of essential services are permitted to work during the curfew period based on the instructions of the Permanent Secretary of the Department or Division
Employees of Statutory Bodies will operate under the instructions of the Director or Chairman of the Board of the Statutory Body
All Permanent Secretaries within the civil service, and the Directors and Chairmen of Board of the Statutory Bodies shall encourage and support employees in working from home to the extent that this is possible.
All courts will function under the guidance of the Chief Justice/Chief Magistrate
The Antigua and Barbuda Department of Marine Services and Merchant Shipping shall operate as authorized by the Director.
All beaches are closed for the duration of the curfew period
- Under the State of Emergency, persons must remain in the confines of their homes
- Every business permitted under the State of Emergency regulations to operate during the curfew period shall observe the social distancing protocols as follows:-
- Ensure that all customers and staff maintain physical distancing of no less than six (6) feet in or around their business;
- determine the number of persons that may be permitted in the establishment at any one time by permitting one person for every fifty square feet of store space;
- place distance markers at six feet interval showing where persons are permitted to stand at a check out point;
- place distance markers at six feet interval to show where persons are permitted to stand while waiting outside of the establishment;
- In addition to social distancing, owners of businesses permitted operate during the curfew period shall ensure that there is a sanitizing station available at the entry to the business and sanitary procedures are observed by all customers.
No person is permitted to be in any motor vehicle, supermarket, market, or in any street or in any public place without wearing a face mask/covering
Every person who is permitted to leave his or her residence for any portion of the curfew period must wear a face mask/covering which completely covers both the nose and the mouth of that person.
Persons are not permitted to wear dark glasses and head covering when entering any business and persons must be prepared to show a government issued identification when requested by security or management personnel of the business place.
All Religious and Educational places of instruction or worship shall remain closed. They may however operate via electronic or virtual means.
The electronic or virtual broadcast of any religious instruction or worship may be produced from within a church or other establishment, provided no more than ten (10) persons are involved, to include the Pastor and the production team.
- No person shall –
- (a) host or attend at any private party which includes any person from outside of his or her immediate household occupant;
- (b) attend or participate in any organised sporting event or any sports stadium;
- (c) hold any banquet, ball or reception;
- (d) any social event.
For the duration of the curfew period –
(b) meeting of a fraternal society, social or private club, civic organisation or association, are banned.
(c) Funerals, if held during the curfew period, must be conducted in the cemetery with no more than ten (10) mourners, the officiant, two (2) representatives from the funeral home and two (2) persons employed to work in the graveyard, all of whom shall practice social distancing and wear a face mask/covering.
No person shall drive any vehicle on any public or private road except for the purpose of:
(a) transporting someone who has a medical emergency;
(b) going to the supermarket or any of the businesses permitted to open pursuant to this regulation;
(c) going to an automatic banking machine within the period 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m;
(2) Only the driver and one other person are allowed to be in a private vehicle.
No person under the age of eighteen (18) years is permitted to be on any street or in any vehicle, whether a private or public transport, during the curfew period, except in the company of a parent or legal guardian.
A person may, during the period 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. each day, walk, jog, run, cycle or perform any other physical activity which may lawfully be carried on, provided such a person complies with the following:
- Shall do so in an open field or on the side of a public road
- May do so in the company of one other person while observing social distancing protocol
- Shall wear a face mask/covering
- Shall not use the occasion as an occasion of social gathering
A person who fails to comply with these special measures commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine of five thousand ($5,000.00) dollars or to imprisonment for six (6) months or to both such fine and imprisonment.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]
The first brief yesterday said 6pm to 6am curfew, now this article saying 24hour curfew, which is it ? Which is correct ? Are we allowed on the road 6-6 or not.
The Cabinet decided that the curfew window, which had been from 7:00 am to 12:00 noon daily, will now commence at 6:00 am and continue until 6:00 pm daily for ESSENTIAL SERVICES
So what 12am am seeing here can u Clair up this fa mi plz
I am hoping that citizens and residents don’t get too relax and forget about social distancing and proper etiquette. This is only an extension of the 7 to 12 period, so please lets keep safe.
Only go out if necessary, otherwise TAP DEH YOU YARD!!!!!
You can take the mask off while running though? Right?
Am lost rite here can some one tell mi the time the curfew start plz and thnx
The curfew is for 24 hours under the state of public emergency however there is a window between 6 am and 6 pm for citizens to go to the supermarket, pharmacy etc. After 6 pm all citizens should be indoors except for essential workers.
Comments are closed.