APUA says Breach of Electrical Installation Caused Electrocution at Green Bay Residence

11

Breach of Electrical Installation Caused Electrocution at Green Bay Residence

The Antigua Public Utilities Authority (APUA) Electricity Business Unit responded to a report of electrocution at George Street Green Bay on Tuesday 14 June 2022 at approximately 21:16 hrs.

Our preliminary investigations found that the property where the incident occurred shares a fence with an apartment building.

The apartment building electricity service was being supplied by a temporary service that breached the National Electrical Code and APUA’s standard.

An extension cord connected the apartment building running along and intertwined through a shared chain link fence.

Over a period of time and exposure to the elements of the weather, the insulation on the extension cord deteriorated exposing metal wire and establishing contact with the chain link fence.

This would have resulted in the fence becoming energized and in essence an extension of the circuit. Further investigation revealed that the clothesline for the victim was attached between the chain link fence post and a tree in the yard that tragically electrocuted the resident.

The Authority would like to urgently appeal to customers to desist from unsafe practices of breaching the electrical installation code and standards.

We strongly caution customers to only engage with qualified electricians for their internal wiring requirements. APUA only approve temporary electrical supply to assist with the construction and repair of buildings.

Temporary electrical supply should not be used for regular domestic accommodation outside of construction and repair purposes.

These safety compromised practices reduce the quality of electricity powering your home and may result in the loss of life or property.

We will be engaging our staff in a vigorous audit of temporary services and compliance.

Customers are again encouraged to become regularized by applying for permanent service to avoid disruption of services.

APUA wishes to express condolences to the family and friends mourning the loss of their loved one.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP

11 COMMENTS

  1. The owner of the Apartment needs to be sued.
    Get a greedy lawyer and sue the rarse of them fe all the hab

  2. Look how many years I have applied for a permanent service and I am not over exaggerating years, and up to this day you all can’t reach.

  3. As I appropriately stated in an earlier post, this practice has been happening in low income communities for decades. It is way to scam the system. People don’t realize how risky this process is to mortality. It’s sad that his life had to end this way. RIP, young man.

    • @ Dave Ray “as I appropriately stated in a earlier post” who knows or cares what you appropriately stated in a earlier post just make your point Shuups .
      Condolences to the family and friends
      Blessings

  4. At the end of the day what leagl action is APUA going to take against the owners of this apartment? And the owner needs to take care of the lad funeral expenses for you all negligence. The greive is already a lot to bare much less the other expenses. It cannot go for nothing.

  5. At the end of the day what leagl action is APUA going to take against the owners of this apartment? And the owner needs to take care of the lad funeral expenses for you all negligence. The greive is already a lot to bare much less the other expenses. It cannot go for nothing.

  6. Heart broken right about now apua is putting the blame on the apartment say one say two they say it breach of electricity installation they are the one should be blame because a them install it on a temperary pole if it was not fit the put there when they do the inspection they should not put it there

  7. Heart broken right about now apua is putting the blame on the apartment say one say two they say it breach of electricity installation they are the one should be blame because a them install it on a temperary pole if it was not fit the put there when they do the inspection they should not put it there

  8. Apua, please provide a similar report for the young man that was electrocuted at Jolly Harbor several years ago.

Comments are closed.