At its Annual General Meeting held on 31st March 2022 the Antigua and Barbuda Bar Association elected its Council for the term 2022 – 2024.
Mrs. Cherissa Roberts Thomas returns to the Council as the newly elected President and Ms. Kathleen Bennett is the newly elected Vice President. Mr. Loy Weste was elected for the first time as Treasurer.
Additionally there are seven ordinary members, three new and four returning as follows:
Michelle G. Sterling
Luann M. De Costa
Marian Hesse- Merchant
Mr. Lenworth Johnson remains on Council as the Immediate Past President.
The Antigua and Barbuda Bar Association is a creature of statute governed by the Legal Profession Act 2008. Its mandate includes;
- Maintaining and improving the standards of the professional conduct of attorneys-at-law in Antigua and Barbuda;
- Representing and protecting the interest of the legal profession in Antigua and Barbuda
- Protecting and assisting the public in Antigua and Barbuda in all matters relating to law;
- Promoting good relations within the profession, between the profession and persons concerned in the administration of justice in Antigua and Barbuda and between the profession and the public generally;
- Promoting good relations between the profession and professional bodies of the legal profession in other countries and to participate in the activities of any regional and international associations of attorneys-at-law and to become a member thereof;
- Promoting, maintaining, and supporting the administration of justice and the rule of law;
- Providing, independently or with government, a legal aid programme to qualifying members of the public;
- Providing an ongoing public education programme on basic issues of law and current legislation;
- Providing a programme of continuing legal education for its members whether by way of seminars, workshops or lecturers; and
- Do all other things incidental or conducive to the achievement of the purposes set out above.
The Council, which is the governing and executive body of the Association, shall appoint a secretary from its ordinary members at its first meeting and vows to continue the work of the Association towards achieving its mandate.
The Association may be contacted through Council at the Antigua and Barbuda Bar Association Secretariat, Old Parham Road (Western Union Building), telephone: 562-9761, email: [email protected]
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]