24 Hour Curfew imposed from 6 a.m. April 9 to 6 a.m. April 16, 2020 Official Guidelines
• The government of Antigua and Barbuda has declared a State of Emergency in an effort to curb the spread of the Coronavirus – COVID 19
• A 24 Hour curfew has been enacted from Thursday 9th April – 6:00 a.m. to 6 a.m. April 16, 2020
• There will be no movement during the day by non-essential workers except for food and emergency supplies. Private vehicles are limited to two occupants
• Essential workers and others should continue to practice social distancing of six feet between persons
• No business activity or service not listed in the Schedule to the Essential Services Act, 2008shall be permitted to open or operate on Friday 10th April, 2020 (Good Friday).
• Supermarkets may operate Sunday 12th April, 2020 (Easter Sunday) and Monday 13th April, 2020 (Easter Monday) from 7 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
• Persons are confined to their places of residence during the 24-Hour curfew hours Essential Services permitted to operate during State of Emergency
• Royal Police Force of Antigua and Barbuda including the fire Brigade
• Antigua and Barbuda Defence Force
• Office of National Drug and Money Laundering Control Policy (ONDCP)
• Customs Department and Excise Division
• Immigration Department
• Mount Saint John Medical Centre
• Emergency Medical Services and E-911 Services
• Media workers and other employees of a broadcasting service to the extent that they are traveling for work;
• Her Majesty’s Prison
• Air Traffic Control Service
• Metrological Services
• Provision of healthcare services and residential care services
• Residential or elderly care facilities and establishments
• Antigua Public Utilities Authority (Electricity and Water and Telecommunications; other Water
Service and Telecommunication Service Providers)
• Assigned Volunteers
• Antigua and Barbuda Port Authority
• Brokers and Shipping agents
• Antigua and Barbuda Airport Authority
• Businesses licensed to provide private security services
• National Office of Disaster Services
• Commercial Banks and Credit Unions to the extent required to facilitate ongoing automatic banking
• All Members of Parliament
• The Treasury Department, as determined by the Accountant General
• The Inland Revenue Department, as determined by the Commissioner of Inland Revenue
• National Solid Waste Management Authority
• Healthcare workers and employees of allied health care services
• Telecommunication Service providers
• LIAT 1974 Ltd.
• Fuel Manufactures/Distributors (WIOC, RUBIS)
• Private Doctors/Veterinarians
Select businesses will be allowed to operate between the recommended hours with strict
adherence to the established social distancing regime. These businesses shall operate
between the hours of 7 a.m. to 12 noon (Only 2 persons are allowed in private vehicles and
must have valid reasons for being in public) Fish and Meat Markets, Abattoirs
Registered livestock and vegetable farmers are permitted to be at their farms between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Licensed fishermen are permitted to operate during the curfew period between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Critical Cleaning Services, Sanitation workers
Wholesale or retail grocery stores, bakeries, supermarkets and community shops
Authorized Delivery Services of necessities (food, groceries, medicine, water, fuel)
Banking Institutions licensed under the Banking Act 2015
Money gram and Western Union Money Transfer Services for the purpose of receiving moneys only Licensed Insurance Companies and Insurance Agents
Public transportation services are permitted to operate during the curfew period from 6:00 a.m. to
7:00 p.m. provided the operator of the public transport and the passengers wear a face
mask/covering and the passengers are seated in a staggering formation with one person in every row
that would normally accommodate 2 persons and no more than 2 persons in the back seat.
Hotels/Villas & Ancillary Staff operating on a limited scale (no gaming rooms, spas, gyms, tennis
courts and other recreational services are allowed; in room dining only)
Critical Construction workers approved by the Cabinet to include BHM, Meridian Construction
Company, CCECC and WIOC
Businesses involved in logistics
Employees of the public service who are not employed in the provision of essential services
are permitted to work during the curfew period based on the instructions of the Permanent
Secretary of the Department or Division
Employees of Statutory Bodies will operate under the instructions of the Director or
Chairman of the Board of the Statutory Body
All Permanent Secretaries within the civil service, and the Directors and Chairmen of Board
of the Statutory Bodies shall encourage and support employees in working from home to the extent that this is possible.
All courts will function under the guidance of the Chief Justice/Chief Magistrate
All beaches are closed for the duration of the curfew period
• Under the State of Emergency, persons must remain in the confines of their homes
• Every business permitted under the State of Emergency regulations to operate during the
curfew period shall observe the social distancing protocols as follows:-
– Ensure that all customers and staff maintain physical distancing of no less than six
(6) feet in or around their business;
– determine the number of persons that may be permitted in the establishment at any
one time by permitting one person for every fifty square feet of store space;
– place distance markers at six feet interval showing where persons are permitted to
stand at a check out point;
– place distance markers at six feet interval to show where persons are permitted to
stand while waiting outside of the establishment;
– In addition to social distancing, owners of businesses permitted operate during the
curfew period shall ensure that there is a sanitizing station available at the entry to
the business and sanitary procedures are observed by all customers.
No person is permitted to be in any motor vehicle, supermarket, market, or in any street or
in any public place without wearing a face mask/covering
Every person who is permitted to leave his or her residence for any portion of the curfew
period must wear a face mask/covering which completely covers both the nose and the
mouth of that person.
All Religious and Educational places of instruction or worship shall remain closed. They
may however operate via electronic or virtual means.
• No person shall –
• (a) host or attend at any private party which includes any person from outside of his or herimmediate household occupant;
• (b) attend or participate in any organised sporting event or any sports stadium;
• (c) hold any banquet, ball or reception;
• (d) any social event.
For the duration of the curfew period –
(b) meeting of a fraternal society, social or private club, civic organisation or association, are
(c) Funerals, if held during the curfew period, must be conducted in the cemetery with no
more than ten (10) mourners, the officiant, two (2) representatives from the funeral home and
two (2) persons employed to work in the graveyard, all of whom shall practice social distancing
and wear a face mask/covering.
No person shall drive any vehicle on any public or private road except for the purpose of:
(a) transporting someone who has a medical emergency;
(b) going to the supermarket or any of the businesses permitted to open pursuant to this
(c) going to an automatic banking machine within the period 7:00a.m. to 12:00p.m;
(2) Only the driver and one other person are allowed to be in a private vehicle.
No person under the age of eighteen (18) years is permitted to be on any street or in any
vehicle, whether a private or public transport, during the curfew period, except in the
company of a parent or legal guardian.
A person who fails to comply with these special measures commits an offence and is liable
on summary conviction to a fine of five thousand ($5,000.00) dollars or to imprisonment for
six (6) months or to both such fine and imprisonment.
For more information or to submit queries, email [email protected]
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]