Carty Raises Concerns Over Long-Delayed Industrial Court Judgments

0

Trade unionist Anderson Carty has written to the Registrar of the Industrial Court raising concerns about what he describes as long-outstanding judgments affecting several of his clients.

In a February 16, 2026 letter, Carty listed more than two dozen labour matters filed between 2015 and 2019 that he says remain pending, despite hearings in many cases concluding years ago. He referenced earlier correspondence dated December 31, 2024, noting that only five judgments have been delivered since then.

The matters involve a range of employers, including private companies, resorts, financial institutions and statutory bodies. Some cases were reportedly heard as far back as 2016 and 2017, while others concluded between 2020 and 2023 but are still listed as awaiting delivery of judgment.

Carty cited the principle that “justice delayed is justice denied,” arguing that the delays amount to a denial of justice for his clients. He also referred to a contempt order issued against him on November 3, 2023, which he described as unlawful, and suggested it may be affecting the progress of the cases. He rejected claims that he is responsible for the delays.

The letter was copied to the Prime Minister, the Attorney General, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs, the Antigua and Barbuda Bar Association, attorneys for the employers and the affected clients.

Carty said he is awaiting a response from the Registrar before pursuing further lawful action. The Industrial Court has not publicly responded.

Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here